I’m trying to use as much alliteration as possible to gain you attention about some exciting local events and offerings I’ve learned about recently!
After attending an event to raise awareness about Autism, I learned about some cool events that can be helpful to kids, teens, and adults who have sensory-processing issues, anxiety, special needs, or can just feel overwhelmed when there’s too much going on at one time.
So here they are, in case you’re interested! (In chronological order for your calendars!)
· Orlando Science Center: Sensory Sundays: Sept. 27, 2015 9-11am
“This sensory friendly experience will allow visitors a chance to experience the exhibit halls at quieter volume settings. Visitors will also be able to enjoy the movie with softer volume and more ambient light in our theater.’ Free to Science Center Members or enter with General Admission. www.Osc.org
· Fancy Nancy, Musical at The Rep: Sensory-Friendly Performance: Sept. 27th at 5:30pm
Special modifications include adjustments made to the show’s lighting, and sound effects, designated quiet areas should patrons need to take a sensory break, and a Social Story available for download ahead of time so patrons can get a feel for the theater experience before the show.
Tickets start at $14. 407-896.7365. www.Orlandorep.com
· 2015 Central Florida-Walk Now for Autism Speaks: Nov. 14, 2015
I will be with my team supporting this cause! Come visit us at our tent and table! Hope to see you there! Proceeds go to funding treatment and research for those with Autism Spectrum Disorders. If you’d like to donate to Autism Speaks, ask me how!
· Blue Man Group: Autism Friendly Performance: Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015, 6pm
· Tampa Bay Rays: Autism Awareness Game: Late Spring 2016
· FREE Autism Screenings with Nemours, CARD & Autism Speaks:
This free screening is for children up to 6 years old and take about 20 minutes. You’ll be able to discuss screening and next steps with a Nemours Specialist afterwards.
Locations & Dates of screenings:
1. Nemour’s Kid Track Lobby:13535 Nemours Parkway, Orlando, FL 32827
1:00-4:30pm on the following dates: 9/20/15; 9/28/15; 11/16/15; 1/11/16; 3/21/16; 5/9/16
2. The Children’s Center: 5650 S. Washington Ave., Titusville, FL 32780
1:00-5:00pm on October 12, 2015
3. Locations to be announced for the following dates in surrounding counties:
12/14/15 in Seminole County; 2/5/16 in Volusia County; 4/11/16 in Lake County
6/20/15 in Polk County
As always, feel free to share these events with family and friends who may benefit. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions about what Autism, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Sensory Processing Disorder, other developmental disorders, or anxiety disorders or symptoms might look like or how to best cope, and even thrive!